If you are thinking about starting a blog or are new to blogging you may have discovered there are endless things to know! This article is a brief description of the the questions to ask yourself before committing to a blog.
What is a blog and how is it different from a website?
In WordPress there are several types of websites. We are going to focus on blogs and hybrids. These are defined as:
- A blog is a website whose main focus and content is articles (aka “posts”).
- A blog typically has the most recent blog posts(s) on the home page followed by post teasers.
- The main focus of a blog is the blog posts although there are traditionally a few static pages like the about page.
- A hybrid is a website that primarily features static pages (not posts) and includes a blog. The blog page houses posts pertaining to the website.
- The home page of a hybrid site is typically static and the blog page is listed in the menu.
Before you get too deep into your blog you need to answer a few questions to determine your motivation and goals for your blog. Your answers to these questions will help you determine how far you want to venture into the blog world in order to reach your goals.
Find your compelling “why”
- Because I keep hearing I’m supposed to.
- I have more to say to my visitors than what is in my pages.
- I like to research and share my thoughts with my visitors.
- I want to establish my credibility or establish myself as an expert.
- I want to have an active voice on my site.
- I want my site to be dynamic, not just a “brochure”.
- I’ve heard it helps with SEO.
- I want to interact with my visitors.
- I love to write.
Now that you know your “whys” , ask yourself…